September 8, 2013

Rustic Creme Scone with Ancient Einkorn Flour

I gardened in the rain the other day.  My clothes were completely soaked through by the time I came inside.  That's enough of a reason to bake, don't you think?


The recipe is from Peter Reinhart's Crust & Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers.  I would like to become a serious bread baker now that I know I can eat ancient wheat.  This book and others from Brother Peter, who used to be a full time brother and is still a lay brother in Christ the Saviour Brotherhood, an Eastern Orthodox Christian service order, are very educational.  It's no coincidence, Peter is a full-time baking instructor.  He teaches at Johnson and Wales University.  When he wrote Crust & Crumb he was the baking instructor at the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco.  He also founded Brother Juniper's Bakery in Santa Rosa and wrote a book about the bread there.  http://peterreinhart.typepad.com/about.html

Crust & Crumb was published in 1998.  He wasn't concerned about GMOs and toxic wheat, so to use his recipes with Einkorn might be a stretch.  But it's cold and rainy outside, so I'm going to take a chance.  I have written to Peter asking permission to reprint his recipe here.  In the meantime, I will tell you the ingredients and if you're impressed, you can check out his book, or buy a used copy.

Peter Reinhart's Master Formula for Cream Scones includes:
Unbleached all-purpose flour, I used Einkorn
Baking powder
Salt
Brown Sugar
Currants or other dried fruit, I used raisins and dried cranberries,
Heavy Cream, I used buttermilk
Egg wash on top before baking
Coarse sugar or crystallized ginger, I sprinkled regular sugar because that's all I had


Flatten the dough out on the counter to about one inch thick and cut into six wedges or more.  I made eight.


make an egg wash


beat it till frothy, foamy

Bake at 425 degrees for ten minutes.  Turn the baking pan around and bake at 375 degrees for another ten minutes.



Cool on rack for 20 minutes, I could hardly wait.


Top it with Creme Fraiche or mascarpone and this little gem is a satisfying meal.  It is dense and chewy with a little crunch on the outside from the egg wash and sprinkled sugar.  I doubt I'll be hungry for dinner and I attribute my satiety to the ancient grain.  I have never had a scone taste and feel like a meal.  This is worth making again and having for breakfast.  If you eat a scone this satisfying at tea time, you won't want dinner until tomorrow.

Quick, easy, delicious.  To your health.


No comments:

Post a Comment